Tuesday 29 September 2015

Me and Marilyn Monroe

Ever since I was a little boy, I have looked up to Marilyn Monroe. Not just because on her talent and icon status, but because I saw myself in her. I'm not talking about her looks, obviously, since I'm not even half as beautiful as she was. I'm talking about relating to her on a personal level.

Most people think of Marilyn Monroe as just a glamorous sex symbol, the "dumb blonde" who had an affair with the president. Personally, I'm much more interested in the woman behind the glamour and beauty. The sensitive and sometimes fragile woman who fought to be taken seriously and who went through so much pain in her life. The woman who tried her best to survive in a world where sensitivity is seen as a weakness.

I don't know who the real Marilyn was. No one does, at least not completely. But I have my own interpretation of who she was, and that's the Marilyn I relate to. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes it feels like I have a special connection with Marilyn, like I know her. I guess all fans feel that way, but still...

Reading about Marilyn, watching her movies, listening to her music and reading her poems really helps me cope when I'm feeling blue. It makes me feel less alone, like someone out there really understands me, even if it's just an illusion.

In loving memory of Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962)



Marilyn Monroe... and me.